Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support

Child support can be confusing because of conflicting information that some people get from others who think they know how the law works but have not experienced it firsthand. James P. Peterson Attorney at Law has been handling child support matters for individuals in courts in the San Antonio area for more than 30 years. He is highly experienced in Texas law and processes in child support orders and enforcement.

How Much Will My Child Support Be?

It depends. Normally, child support is calculated based on the net resources of the noncustodial parent. Generally, that is someone's take-home pay. It is a percentage of income. The number of children an individual has financial responsibility over determines that percentage after taking into account the cost of medical insurance.

How Long Will The Process Take?

It depends. But hiring a lawyer can bring you a prompter resolution rather than going through the state attorney general's office.

Can I Collect My Past Due Child Support?

Yes, and you are entitled to recover your attorney fees spent to collect your past due child support.

Can I Lower My Support?

This is one of the hardest things to do at the courthouse. However, James P. Peterson has a track record of success. If there has been a true change in circumstances, your child support could go down. It's important to act now to start the process. Each month you wait is another month you are paying too much.

What If The Child Is Not Mine?

You only have four years from the date your name went on the birth certificate to contest your paternity. Usually after that, it's too late.

For A Free Consultation, Call James P. Peterson Attorney At Law

Call 210-349-5555 or send an email to schedule a time to speak with him directly at his office in San Antonio. He has answers to your questions about child support and other family law matters.